Online Tax Professional Training
Become a Tax Preparer in California (Fee-based course)
California has the strictest requirements to be a tax preparer, but it is also one of the greatest needs for these professionals come tax season. This 100% online course will train you to work as a California Tax Preparer and meet the standards required by the California Tax Education Council (CTEC).
Job Outlook for Tax Professionals
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) states that California is the state with the highest employment level of tax preparers, with over 12,600 employed.
- Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA, metropolitan areas are the top employment locations with 5,000 professionals employed.
- The BLS reports that tax professionals in the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA, metropolitan areas earn an annual mean wage of $59,290.
- Accumulate the required educational experience to qualify as a California Tax Preparer set by the California Tax Education Council (CTEC)
- Gain the tax knowledge and experience needed to take the Enrolled Agent (EA) exam and Special Enrollment Examination (SEE), issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- Understand how to file tax returns for all individual U.S. taxpayers, small businesses, corporate partnerships and sole-proprietorships
You must have a high school diploma or equivalent to take this course.
California Income Tax Preparation: How to prepare taxes for individuals in California; regulations and exceptions
Individual Income Tax Preparation: Accounting ethics and laws that affect tax laws in California; auto expenses, self-employment tax, capital gains and losses
Small Business Income Tax Preparation: Business types, accounting methods, and financial statements; general business credits, tax issues related to business, and the financial side of selling or liquidating a business
Peoples Income Tax, Inc.
This is a self-paced course with additional support provided by experienced tax professionals at Peoples Income Tax, Inc., a subsidiary of The Income Tax School.
This course is 100% online. Start anytime.
California Tax Professionals FAQs
What is a chartered tax professional?
The designation of “Chartered Tax Professional” is given to tax preparers that pass six training modules on Federal income tax preparation. To earn this designation, individuals must meet and exceed the educational requirements set by the California Tax Education Council (CTEC).
How do I become a California Tax Preparer?
Per the State of California Franchise Tax Board, to work as a tax preparer in California, you must meet requirements set by the California Tax Education Council (CTEC) and register with the CTEC.
What are the CTCE requirements for becoming a tax preparer in California?
The CTCE requires that you:
- Have a minimum of 60 hours of educational training from a CTEC-approved provider
- Purchase a $5,000 tax preparer bond from an insurance/surety agent
- Obtain a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
Is this course approved by the CTEC?
Yes. This course was developed in partnership with The Income Tax School, a CTEC-approved training provider.
Why are the standards for working as a tax preparer in California so strict?
Considering that many states depend on income tax revenue to fund public programs, overseeing tax preparation is vital to ensuring taxes are filed accurately and in good faith to the taxpayer. California is one of a handful of states that regulate tax preparers and require that they hold a license or meet certain state-mandates.