Credit and Financial Health Counselor Training
Become Certified as a Credit and Financial Health Counselor (Fee-based course)
Becoming a certified credit counselor specializing in financial health indicates that you have achieved a standard of excellence in training for the credit counseling industry. In this 100% online course, you will learn how to coach your clients in building strong credit, spending analysis, improving money management behaviors, and more. Upon completing this course and passing the examinations, you will receive a Financial Health Counseling Certification and Credit Counseling Certification from the National Association of Certified Credit Counselors.
Job Outlook for Certified Credit and Financial Health Counselors
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), credit counselors in the metropolitan area of Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA, earn an annual median wage of $60,030.
- The BLS reports that California is among the top five states with the highest employment level in credit counselors, with over 1,900 jobs.
- Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA, metropolitan areas possess 800 jobs alone, the most in the entire state for this field.
- Credit industry and scoring knowledge
- Credit/financial counselor ethics
- Banking and finance essentials
- Counseling, motivation, and communication techniques
- Fundamentals of consumer protection law
- Housing, retirement, and student loan information
- You will learn effective counseling techniques for guiding clients toward reaching financial goals
- You will learn banking and credit fundamentals needed to educate clients and help them eliminate debt and improve credit scores
- Contains credit counselor ethics and other information to help future counselors work ethically, professionally, and legally
- You will receive the Certified Financial Health Counselor and Certified Credit Counselor designation after passing the final exam
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
- The Defining Role of the Financial Counselor
- Taking Control of Finances
- Demystifying Consumer Credit
- Understanding and Dealing with Debt
- Credit Counseling Today
- Financial Counselor Today
Bonnie Canty is an attorney licensed in five states: Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, New Jersey, and New York. She obtained her Juris Doctorate degree from Hofstra School of Law and practices general law through her firm ABC Law, PLLC. She has been hired by several businesses and organizations to train, coach, and consult. Canty currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Society of Financial and Career Counseling Professionals and has been a Certified Financial Counselor for almost two decades.
This course is open enrollment. You can enroll and begin at any time.
Certified Credit and Financial Health Counselor FAQs
What skills does a certified financial health counselor need?
Certified Financial Health Counselors match technical knowledge with communication and organizational skills. They need a comprehensive knowledge base in issues related to personal finance and many also specialize in a specific area such as credit or student loan management. They also need empathy, conversation, and persuasion skills to build relationships with clients. And they need business management skills for their clients and for their own practices.
Can certified financial health counselors work anywhere?
Although there is not a general license requirement for financial advisors, some states or municipalities may have their own regulations. Please check with your state and local governments for their requirements. Financial Health Counselors who offer investment products need to be licensed to sell those products.
Where do certified credit counselors work?
Many Certified Credit Counselors work in the public sector, serving in community education or financial services departments of local or state governments. Some work in the non-profit sector for credit counseling or debt management services. Some work with financial institutions helping borrowers work out troubled loans or manage their debt loads.
Is certification important for credit couselors?
Credit Counselors work with highly confidential and often complex, personal matters. They often represent civic or non-profit organizations where trust and competence are of the highest importance. For these responsibilities, certification such as that offered by the National Association of Certified Credit Counselors (NACCC) signals that you have undertaken a challenging course of preparation and have documented your expertise at the highest levels.