A photo of the Grad To Be team with Assembly Woman, Sharon Quirk Silva, and NOCE President, Valentina Purtell

Legislation related to immigration, DACA, and more is constantly changing. At Grads To Be, we aim to stay informed and share the most current information with you. In addition, we provide information to you understand each piece of legislation with further details.

Don’t give up! All undocumented students can go to college and receive private or institutional scholarships! If at any point you need additional help, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our program at grads2b@noce.edu.

Current Legislation and Resources

  • AB540, AB2000, and SB68
    • AB540: California Assembly Bill 540 passed into law in 2001 that states certain nonresident students are exempt from paying nonresident supplemental tuition. Therefore, those who qualify for AB540 – both undocumented and U.S citizen students – will be charged in-state tuition and fees.
    • AB2000: California Assembly Bill 2000 passed in 2014, expanding the definition of students eligible for AB540. This bill now allows a larger undocumented population to qualify for resident tuition fees.
    • SB68: California Senate Bill 68 passed into law in 2017 that expands on AB540. SB68 enables students to count years spent at a California Community College and adult education toward AB540 eligibility. Additionally, SB68 allows the completion of an associate degree or satisfaction of the minimum requirements to transfer to the University of California or California State University as sufficient for students to qualify for in-state tuition and financial aid.

    For more information:

  • California Dream Act

    The California Dream Act allows some undocumented students to apply for and receive state-based financial aid and institutional scholarships. Passing the California Dream Act symbolizes a milestone victory for undocumented students and allies in California who organized and advocated for increased access to college. This represents a critical investment in undocumented students and in the future of California.

    The types of aid included in the CA Dream Act are: Cal Grants, UC Grants, State University Grants, California College Promise Grant and EOP or EOPS grants. It also includes the Middle-Class Scholarships and school-specific scholarships. The CA Dream Act can also give you access to Dream Loans at the CSU or UC, even if you are undocumented.

    For more information:

  • AB60

    Requirements to apply:

    • Proof of identity and California residency
    • Fill out DL-44 application
    • Pay application fee $33
    • Pass written test
    • Pass behind-the-wheel test
  • DACA

    What is DACA: DACA stands for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. On June 15, 2012, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced that certain people who came to the United States as children and meet several guidelines may request consideration of deferred action for a period of one year, subject to renewal. They are also eligible for work authorization. Deferred action is a use of prosecutorial discretion to defer removal action against an individual for a certain period of time. Deferred action does not provide lawful status.

    For more information: