What is Academic Senate?
The NOCE Academic Senate is a governing body made up of all North Orange Continuing Education faculty. The Academic Senate’s primary function is to make recommendations with respect to academic and professional matters. Academic and Professional matters mean the following policy development matters:
- Curriculum, including establishing prerequisites.
- Degree and certificate requirements.
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development.
- Educational program development.
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success.
- College governance structures, as related to faculty roles.
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes.
- Policies for faculty professional development activities.
- Processes for program review.
- Grading policies.
Consult collegially means that the district governing board shall develop policies on academic and professional matters through either or both of the following:
- Consult collegially means that the district governing board shall develop policies on academic and professional matters through either or both of the following: Rely primarily upon the advice and judgment of the academic senate, OR
- The governing board, or its designees, and the academic senate shall reach mutual agreement by written resolution, regulation, or policy of the governing board effectuating such recommendations.
Meeting Agenda and Minutes
Academic Senate meetings for the 2021-22 school year will be held via Zoom on the first Tuesday of the month at 3 p.m. from September through May (No meeting in January 2022). To join this meeting, visit the Academic Senate Meeting Zoom Link.
Additional Academic Senate Information
Academic Senate Roster
The NOCE Academic Senate welcomes all full-time and adjunct faculty to participate.
Academic Senate Committee Assignments
As part of the shared governance committee framework and NOCE culture, our Academic Senate members participate in the following school-wide committees and workgroups.
- Academic Senate Constitution and Bylaws
Academic Senate Resources
- Local Senate Handbook
- Academic Senate for California Community Colleges
- American Association of Community Colleges
- The Brown Act
- California Community College Chancellor’s Office
- California Community College Chancellor’s Office Data Mart
- California Community Colleges (CCC) Alphabetical List of Colleges
- Cypress College Academic Senate
- Fullerton College Faculty Senate
- United Faculty Website
- Tenure-Track Faculty Handbook
- Adjunct Faculty United Website
- Adjunct Faculty Handbook
- Faculty Handbook
- Academic Senate Resolutions